20081204

Nov 30: Murrysville CX

Whoa. It has only been 9 hours since Sam & I got home from States, and now I gotta leave again for another race! Knowing this would happen, Sam and I left all our stuff, bikes and clothes included, IN/ON my truck overnnight just so it would all be (ready) for today… as well as damp and cold! Super-Fan, Doug Frost… ...came over to my house with his Propane Heater and together we headed down to Murrysville to put up the race banners... …and set-up camp for the others. When we arrived, it was already raining and 35degF and WINDY, just as forecast… so it was a GREAT thing to have a heater! In fact, our tent served as the warm-up location for both the Elite Women's Winner and the Elite Men's Winner, neither of which are from our Team … yet :) Racing today were Henry Dimmick (me!), Sam Morrison, Rich Allen, Ray Sielski, Mike Maher and John McClintock. In the Men's C Race, John finished 12th, Rich finished 13th, and Ray finished 14th…a sweep, you might say!
In the Men's B Race, after a race long battle with Chris Mahew, Sam took 2nd Place... …while I finished in 16th place.
Mike discovered that his Frank-n-Bike, single speed creation, was not ready for prime time play when he broke his chain near the beginning of Lap 2…coincidently very near our Tent! In the Men's Masters Race, Ray took 9th Place, in his SECOND RACE of the day, in very difficult conditions… making HIM Sunday's Ag3r Hard Man :)
Before leaving, Sam and Kirk Morrison helped me tear down our camp, then split.
I then helped Fred Baldassare, Race Promoter (on left)...
...& Team Freddie Fu tear down all the tape and stakes.
At the end of my 40 hour odyssey, I had traveled 715 miles, used 48 gallons of gas, and spent 14 hours driving… to compete in a total of 3 clean races and one COLD & SLOPPY one, covering 38 miles in 3.5 hours.
Just as darkness set-in, the rain changed from light to HEAVY. Luckily, we were just done with clean-up and getting into our cars for the drive home. What a GREAT weekend :) More can be read on Freddie Fu Team Blog, under BLOG PEEPS, to the right -->

1 comment:

Fred said...

Henry,

As you demonstrated during the Senior Olympics, and USAC Road Nationals, your hardcore work ethic and disdain for mediocrity is without parallel. Thanks again for making the 1st Annual Murrysville Cross race a better event...the only way I can agree to organize more races is if I know you're on board...sorry dude. Thanks also to everyone on your team!

Best - Fred