20120418

WVMBA #1 @ Mountwood

Kirk Morrison kicked off his entire 2012 Racing Season where no one would ever think to look for him...

...in West Virginia on a Mountain Bike!!!

Kirk has set a goal to become the best DIRT WORM he can be! 

YOU GO KIRK :)
----------------------------------------
The following was Kronicled-by-Kirk:

This past weekend I entered my first mountain bike race of the season at Mountwood Park (near Parkersburg, WV). Unfortunately, Richey didn’t make the trip since he needed to be back for work at 3pm on Sunday.

While its quite a drive (200 miles or about 3.5 hrs … each way) the attendance was huge with over 220 racers. This high level was due to this being a joint race for both the West Virginia Mountain Bike Association (WVMBA) Points Series and the Ohio Mountain Bike Championship (OMBC) Series.

The weather was good with sunny skies, a stiff breeze and 82F temperatures (!). The course at Mountwood was fast with an early morning rain giving the trails an almost “tacky” feel.  Since I’ve been working to improve my mtn bike skills, I was interested to see how I would fare in the Sport Masters (45+) category.

Photo by Mountaineer Extreme Productions LLC


After making a few rookie mistakes I ended up finishing in 12th place in this 16 mile race. While struggling to pass dozens of riders on the trail, I started to understand the importance of getting into a good position before the start of the single track section ! 

The organization for this race was great and the course marshalling was very good. I especially enjoyed the pizza at the finish.

Results link: http://www.iplayoutside.com/Events/?eid=2012/04/13899r.html

Future plans: I’m hoping to race the WVMBA #2 race next Sunday (4/22) at Big Bear Lake (http://www.iplayoutside.com/Events/2012/04/13890.html)

Kirk

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Watch out Sam! Your Dad is gonna mop up the floor with ya! Great job Kirk!