2008 Dismal Dash 40k ITT

I was really looking forward to the race today because I love any excuse to use all of my TT "stuff" and a TT is the only race where I actually stand a chance. The day started off cold. 40* and cold. On my way to the race the temperature went up to about 48* but it started raining. Finally, the rain stopped about 20 miles from the race location and the wind that was in the forecast was almost nonexistent. I had to be at the race by 11:30(that's when packet pick-up ended) but my start time wasn't until 13:00 so I lots of time to waste. I ended up arriving even earlier thanks to Google maps giving incorrect travel time, maybe it's just how I drive. So needless to say I had lots of time to stand around in the cold. I warmed up for 30 minutes on the stationary trainer and stopped at 12:45 to get make all of my final preparations and get to the start line for my start. While I was on the trainer the wind had begun to pick up a bit and by the time I took the start it was just plain windy. The course was on back roads with little traffic but there were some rough sections of broken up pavement. We had a tail/cross wind on the way to the turnaround and a head/cross wind on the way back to the finish. With the tail wind on the way out, I did the first 12.5 miles in 27 minutes 10 seconds. I knew I was going good because I was holding back to save my energy for the head wind on the return trip and I was still 40 seconds faster than I was last year. It's a good thing I was saving something because the return trip didn't disappoint. The wind was tough and it was evident by all of the riders that I ended up passing that they had gone out too hard and were dieing in the headwind. I ended up finishing in 59 minutes 35 seconds at just over 25mph. Not bad for such a windy day and it was my first 40k in under an hour. That's right boys, I'm in the hour club! (but just barely) It was good enough for 5th place in the cat 1,2,3 race on this day. So I'm happy with the result. I improved on my time from last year by 3 minutes 35 seconds.

No comments: